Photo: Greg Dini

Friday, February 17, 2012

Bone Vision and Giant Cuda

Saw some very big bones today. Stood 50 yards from a draining canal and waited for the fish to come out of the mangroves. These fish operate on time every time. It is literally a 10 minute window on the outgoing that they leave. Was only able to fish for an hour. Look at the camouflage the fish is sporting once I land her. Stunning. On a different note I polled off the flat and into a battleship barracuda. Absolute monster waiting in a deep hole for the bones to leave the flat on the outgoing. Seeing the fish from way out I was not able to set up a wire leader on my 9 wt in time. Drifting closer and closer the cuda spotted me 15 yards out. I threw anchor and the fish did laps around the skiff. I threw the fly at her many times in hopes of a territorial response. Just a bunch of mock chases but no grab. Big fish do not get there by being stupid. Good news is I’ve seen this same fish for the past 2 years now and I know she is a resident. Might have another go tomorrow! 
Cool shot of me "talking" to the fish via strips! 

No comments:

Post a Comment